Cost of taking action: £/$/€ NIL
This is an easy no-cost action that will result in more trees being planted
This is so easy! Please stop using Google and Bing, and switch instead to using Ecosia.
Why … because all the profits from ads on the search engine are used to plant trees!
(Oh … and it works just as well as the other search engines too!)
How it works
- You search the web with Ecosia
- AdsSearch ads generate income for Ecosia
- Ecosia uses this income to plant trees.
So far, since its inception in 2009, Ecosia claims to have planted an incredible 125 million trees around the world, including in some unusual and normally inaccessible places.
You can learn more about how Ecosia works as a socially responsible business at https://ecosia.zendesk.com/hc/en-us
Why plant trees?
- Trees help clean the air we breathe
- Trees capture and filter water
- Trees provide habitat to over 80% of the world’s terrestrial biodiversity
- Forests provide jobs to over 1.6 billion people
- Trees absorb carbon (CO2 greenhouse gas) from the atmosphere
- Healthy, strong trees act as carbon sinks, offset carbon and reducing the effects of climate change
- Trees provide key ingredients in 25% of all medicines
Controlling climate change by reducing carbon dioxide levels in our planet’s atmosphere is critical if we are to manage climate change. Trees help by sucking in and storing the harmful greenhouse gas carbon dioxide into their trunks, branches, and leaves — and releasing oxygen back into the atmosphere.
In cities, trees can reduce ambient temperatures by up to 8° Celsius. With more than 50% of the world’s population living in cities, pollution and overheating are becoming a real threat.
A mature tree can absorb an average of 48 lbs of carbon dioxide per year, making cities a healthier, safer place to live.
It’s easy, set Ecosia as your default search engine and you will be helping with carbon dioxide control without even trying!