Cost of taking action: £/$/€ SAVES MONEY
Here is a very, very simple action that reduces the amount of chemicals and detergents that we put into our water systems and that can threaten our environment.
When you measure out your laundry powder or liquid, dishwasher powder, or other cleaning agents, try reducing the amount you use by half. You can do this even if you are using brands that claim to be “eco-friendly”.
The thing to bear in mind is that modern washing machines, dishwashers and cleaning agents are very efficient, even at low temperatures, so powerful cleaners are often unnecessary.
Also, for most of us, especially in the developed world, we are washing clothes that are not actually very dirty … a t-shirt worn for a day around the house doesn’t need to be pummeled with chemicals, and nor do towels that you might have used a few times after showering.
Try it … we bet that you won’t notice a difference in the quality of your wash or clean, and it helps out with the environment in several ways. You will be reducing all of these in one hit:
- the amount of chemicals and detergents entering our water system
- the threat to our environment from these
- plastic used for containers and packaging
- trucking of heavy powders and liquids around our road system
- carbon emissions associated with manufacture
- chemicals used in manufacture
- effluent created in manufacture
- the cost of your washing powder and other materials (bonus!)
Here are few things we think most of us could use less of without compromising hygiene:
- washing powder and liquids
- laundry whitener
- dishwasher powder
- washing up liquid
- fabric conditioner
- disinfectants and surface cleaners *
- bleach and drain cleaners
- toilet cleaners
- shower gels, shampoos and conditioners
- bubble bath, bath oils, powders and similar
* We do not suggest you compromise on sanitising if you are worried about COVID-19. Stay safe.
Thank you for trying this simple effective action, please visit us on social media and let us know how you get on!
And, if you haven’t done so already, please sign up to our bulletin “Take Action” using the form below. Thank you for your support.